The purpose of the Society shall be the advancement of neutron scattering research in the United States. Pursuant to this purpose, the society shall undertake the following:
- Identify and bring together the neutron scattering community of the USA.
- Identify the needs of the neutron scattering community, including future requirements for instrumentation and sources and to represent these needs to the neutron facilities and funding agencies.
- To stimulate, promote and broaden the use of neutron scattering in science and technology.
- To carry out educational activities that support the above goals.
- To engage in other activities deemed appropriate and necessary for attaining the objectives of the Society.